The HOBY Virginia Seminar is looking for about 25 Facilitators to help make the 2018 Seminar the best yet! Some of the skills sought by Facilitators include being able to work within a predetermined schedule, the willingness to follow rules and guidelines, and a desire to serve as a respected role model for high school students.
Although the Seminar may be only a few short days, the influence you may have on these students will be long term. Few Ambassadors have participated in such a rewarding weekend and the HOBY Virginia Seminar will be an unforgettable experience for all of them. The impact on their lives and their futures will be great. You will play a tremendous role in creating a positive HOBY experience.
Perhaps this is your first experience with HOBY? There is a great deal of planning that goes into every Leadership Seminar. The Seminar weekend is a great beginning to becoming more involved in the HOBY Virginia program.
Since the facilitators play such an important role in the seminar weekend, it is absolutely mandatory to be available for the entire seminar weekend. Additionally, prior to the seminar, facilitators must attend a training session to become familiar with their role and responsibilities. Training in Virginia is scheduled for Thursday evening, May 31st, at James Madison University. If you cannot make this training, it is imperative that you notify the Director of Facilitators, Brian Yee.
Applications for 2018 Facilitators have closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
Junior Staff (Alumni under the age of 18)
Junior Staff will help the seminar run smoothly by greeting ambassadors at the seminar, leading HOBY cheers throughout the weekend, preparing seminar activities, and maintaining the seminar’s positive energy throughout weekend!
We are looking for a limited number of the most competitive Junior Staff members for the 2018 HOBY Virginia seminar.
- All Junior Staff have previously attended a HOBY seminar (in any state) as an ambassador
- Junior staff must be younger than 18 years old (If you are between 18-20, please apply for Team Alumni)
- J. Staff commit to be present at the entire HOBY seminar (Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon: May 31-June 1, 2018), plus a training session.
- Community service hours: All Junior Staff meet the leadership for service challenge and have completed a total of 100 hours of community service by April 1, 2018 (hours must be logged in L4S). 40 of these hours must be logged and completed by December 15, 2017 for your application to be considered. If your community service hours will be completed outside of these deadlines, specific documentation must be sent to Sarah Jenkins (email@example.com) explaining how and when the hours will be served.
- J. Staff pledge to fundraise a minimum of $100 as their contribution towards the seminar by May 1, 2018. We will gladly help motivated J. Staff brainstorm ways to fundraise.
- Junior Staff also commit to ensuring that a new ambassador from their high school will be attending the seminar this year.
- Junior Staff are responsible, energetic, mature, empathetic, engaged and want to help make the seminar the best it can be!
Questions? Please contact the Director of Junior Staff, Sarah Jenkins.
Applications for 2018 Seminar Junior Staff have closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
Team Alumni (Alumni between the ages of 18 and 20)
Team Alumni help the seminar run smoothly by introducing speakers, helping lead small group discussions, and assisting with Operations and Programming, as well as other duties as assigned.
We are looking for a limited number of the most competitive Team Alumni members for the 2017 HOBY Virginia seminar.
-Must be familiar with HOBY Program, Curriculum, and Seminar format
-Must be between 18-20 years old (if you are 21+, please apply as a Facilitator)
-Must commit to be present at the entire HOBY seminar (Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon), plus a training session
-Must have completed 100 hours of community service within the last year (If you are an alumni, your hours should be logged in L4S)
-Must pledge to fundraise a minimum of $100
-Must be responsible, energetic, mature, empathetic, and engaged
-Must want to help make the seminar the best it can be.
Questions? Please contact the Director of Team Alumni, Dalton Cooper.
Applications for 2018 Team Alumni have closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
The HOBY Virginia Board of Directors is comprised of up to 22 members made up of representatives of various businesses, cooperating organizations and volunteers. The Board is charged with solving current and future challenges via a strategic plan that insures ongoing growth, longevity and the development of future leadership within the organization. Our leadership challenge is to work together sharing a common direction and purpose that insures positive, ongoing progress. Annual elections are held every June with Executive Committee positions every other June. For additional information on the HOBY Virginia Board of Directors, please contact the Corporate Board President.